Drug-Free Workplace Policy
The Auburn School District will provide a drug-free workplace and certifies that it will:
- Notify all employees in writing that the unlawful manufacture, distribution, dispensing, possession or use of a controlled substance, is prohibited in the District's workplace, and specify the actions that will be taken against employees for violation of such prohibitions.
- Establish a drug-free awareness program to inform employees about the dangers of drug abuse in the workplace; the District's policy of maintaining a drug-free work-place; and available drug counseling, rehabilitation, and employee assistance programs; and the penalty that may be imposed on employees for drug abuse violations occurring in the workplace.
- Make it a requirement that each employee whose employment is funded by a federal grant be given a copy of the statement as required.
- Notify the employee in the required statement that as a condition of employment under the grant, the employee will abide by the terms of the statement, and will notify the District of any criminal drug statute conviction for a violation occurring in the workplace no later than five days after such conviction.
- Notify the federal agency within ten days after receiving notice from an employee or otherwise receiving notice of such conviction.
- Take one of the following actions within 30 days of receiving notice with respect to any employee who is so convicted; take appropriate personnel action against such an employee, up to and including termination; or require such employee to participate satisfactorily in a drug abuse assistance or rehabilitation program approved for such purposes by a federal, state or local health law enforcement, or other appropriate agency.
- Make a good faith effort to continue to maintain a drug-free workplace through implementation of all the provisions of this policy.
LEGAL REFS.: The Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988
CROSS REFS.: JICH, Drug and Alcohol Use by Students
First Reading: March 6, 2013
Second Reading: March 20, 2013
Approved: March 20, 2013
Auburn Public Schools