Inclement Weather Notice November 2019

Snow and thermometer

November 2019




Dear Parents:


I would like to remind you about procedures for weather-related school cancellations along with the reasons that such decisions are made.


To provide ample notice to our students and their families, we will continue to utilize the One Call Now automated telephone system to make cancellation, delayed opening or early release announcements. In addition, the same will be announced on the following television stations: Channel 4, Channel 5, Channel 7, Channel 25 (Fox TV) and NECN. My goal is always to try to do this as early in the morning as possible usually by 5:30 a.m.  An announcement will also be added to the District's webpage,, Facebook page and announced via Twitter.


While utilized less frequently than two-hour delays and/or cancellations, I would ask that all families create a plan should an early release from school need to be called.  Recognizing that calls the night before may be preferred, with New England’s unpredictable weather – that can sometimes change fairly substantially in a relatively short period of time – that is not always possible.  Before winter sets in, please take the time now to consider alternative arrangements so that you and your children are prepared.


My decision to close school or delay its opening comes only after serious and careful consideration. Several factors are contemplated in this decision-making process:


  • Road conditions — careful consideration is given to roads. Even if your street looks clear, travel elsewhere in Town may be dangerous. Also, I must consider that some high school students drive to school.
  • The existing accumulation of snow and/or ice.
  • The rate and expected duration of this precipitation.
  • Meteorologists' weather predictions, although these are a challenge in that they are not always accurate and there is not always agreement among them in terms of their predictions.
  • Sidewalk conditions.
  • School facility conditions including electricity, heat and parking lot conditions.
  • I consult with our DPW Director as well as with the Auburn Police, seeking their input about current and potential future road and sidewalk conditions.
  • I also consult with other local superintendents and share information with them when making my decision.


In closing, please know that every decision I make as Superintendent of the Auburn Public Schools is based on what I believe is in the best interest of our students. My decision to close or delay school is made with the utmost care as student safety is absolutely paramount. 


Thank you for your continued interest in and support of the Auburn Public Schools.




Maryellen Brunelle, Ed. D.

Superintendent of Schools