Elementary school parents that are looking for ways to keep your children engaged in learning and reading can now take advantage of online opportunities that are being presented by authors. Many authors of our favorite children books have gone online with activities and book readings to give kids a unique connection to their work. Many are doing online readings weekly, or even daily, and some are offering videos that allow students to draw and create along with them. This is a great opportunity for children stuck at home re-discover some of their favorite books, and learn along with the author.
Here is a listing of some authors that are offering online activies.
- Mo Willems Daily Doodle - The author of Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! and many other children books offers a daily doodle video where children can learn to draw some of his favorite characters.
- Dan Gutman's "My Weird Read Aloud" - The author of the "My Weird School" series offers daily read-a-louds at 2:00 pm on Facebook.
- Roda Ahmed's RodaWorld - Mae Among The Stars author is providing daily readings on her Instagram page.
- Helen Boudreau - Helen Boudreau is inviting children to "Draw Me More". Her new book Mason and the Mega-Nauts is finished but it doesn't have illustrations yet. She is inviting young readers to preview the book and submit illustrations.
- James Dean - The author of the famous "Pete the Cat" series is reading his books to children every day at 12:00 pm. Visit his Instagram page to participate.
There are many more authors and publishing houses offering opportunities for your students to interactive with their materials. Check out your favorite book and author websites for more ways to work with your students.